Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The plus side of minus tide. By Ahmed Fawzi Herald Writer

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100625/NEWS01/706259906

EVERETT — You can skimboard, walk your dog, dig for sand shrimp or eat lunch in the sun on Snohomish County beaches.

And you can do it all for free.

Cascadia Community College student Riley Davis, 20, said, “The sand here is different than the sand in many other places. You can walk, and do a lot of activities, you can enjoy the tide from 10 a.m. to about 3 p.m.”

And this is the time to do it.

Some of the lowest tides for the year are occurring and the occurrence is drawing crowds to Snohomish County beaches.

People like Davis and Marty Ferguson, 24, who attends the University of Washington, come every day during the low tide to enjoy the morning sun.

“I come here as much as I can when I’m not working,” Davis said. “I just enjoy the skimboarding in the tide.”

“It’s not only nice during the daytime, but also it’s nice at night,” Ferguson added. “The lights from the port make it pretty.”

The beach tempted some people to leave the city and come for a walk. Robert Reese, 34, brought his 5-year-old nephew Noah to Howarth Park to help him walk his four dogs.

“I drive 10 miles to come here, but it’s worth it,” Reese said.

Bill Reasons also likes to come to Howarth Park with his dog Sookie, who likes to run.

“This is a nice place and nice time to do this,” Reasons said. “I do this two times a week if there is a good low tide. It’s a quiet place and people who come here are friendly.”

The low tides also brought Carl Oxwang, 66, of Snohomish, to the beach.

“I like it when it’s low tide,” he said. “I dig for a sand shrimp when I need it.”

Ahmed Fawzi: 425-339-3449, afawzi@heraldnet.com.

No comments: